Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thankful Cards- Just a Swirl In My World

I had no idea how easy making marble paper would be when I saw the directions in an old craft magazine. A baking pan of water, some oil base paints (I used the model airplane paint, the kind sold in those little bottles), a bit of white paper and some newspaper to protect my work. This project was so simple to do, the results were delightful, and as I worked I had some insights. I kept thinking if anyone wanted a project to bust a creative block, address a fear, free up their creative spirit, or totally let go of the idea of control...this is the ticket! It is very fool proof and fast.

Dropping the paint into the water and taking a toothpick to swirl the paint, I'd think this is awesome, I'd put the paper down on it, careful not to submerge the paper under the water, and pulling it up to reveal the finished product, it was nothing like I thought it would be. It was better. I had no control over this outcome. It was freeing. I had trouble stopping.    


With all this great paper, I made note cards. Or as I wanted to call them, Thankful cards.

I couldn't think of a better way to start November and Thanksgiving than to send cards that I've made with notes to the people in my life who I am so thankful for their contribution to my life.

I've been lucky to have a number of people in my life, who care about me and want the best for me. I think I do a pretty good job of expressing my appreciation. Yet I wanted these folks to have something that I had created and a written expression of thankfulness. I was going to wait until Thanksgiving week, then I remembered something my friend Nan would say, “Don't put off telling people how much you love, appreciate them and what they have added to your life.” She's right, again.

I felt so close to each person I wrote a card for. A couple of these people I haven't seen in years.

It is my hope the card will bring a smile to their face, and they too will feel closer to me as well.

From the simplest thing came a great deal of joy. My suggestion...don't put off creating and certainly don't put off telling the people in your life the impact they have had on you.

Until next week...create to feel great!

5 projects complete 47 weeks to go

3 comments:

  1. OK - this is very cool. Are there any particular instructions? Just drop the paint in the water, swirl it with a toothpick, lay the paper on top and then pull it off?
    thanks DeeDee - I'm excited and it's only 7:40 am on a Friday!!!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That's all there is to it! The little airplane paints work the best, come in every color you and imagine and are about $1.00 a bottle. Drop the paint on the water, take a toothpick, feather, chopstick, anything you don't mind getting paint on and swirl away. Be careful not to mix the paint in the water too much, or the colors will get muddy. Place the paper on the water with paint. You'll see it start sticking to the paper. Pull the paper out of the water, dry on newspaper pretty side up! And there you go! You can also use this for gift wrap, cards, or whatever your creativity says to do! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marble is hard we had to paint marble for our set design class and I failed horribly at it. This is a really cool idea DeeDee!

    ReplyDelete