Saturday, June 18, 2011

Unexpected Zen Master

In a previous blog post, I mentioned Wooti.  He is the 3 legged dog from Africa, that my good friend Chelsea was brave enough to rescue and bring him to America.  The week I wrote a bit about Wooti, was the week I met him in person.  Since our meeting, I've been a little obsessed with him.  This week I decided that it was love.  The more and more of his story that gets revealed to me, the more I love that dog.  It is not the fact that he is one of the most handsome dogs I've ever seen.  The really cool mix of what they think is Collie and Shepard. Or it is the fact that I should feel sorry for him because of his 3 legs.  That fact doesn't even enter my mind, except when making him sweaters and boots (one less, please).  I don't feel sorry for Wooti for a minute.  I love and admire him.  I'll tell you why.   He's one of the wisest beings I've ever met.(He is as wise and smart as Mickeygirl )  He's a Zen Master in a dog's body.  He's Yoda with beautiful fur and sweet almond brown eyes.  Wooti has a knowing in him that calms everyone who meets him.  Yes, he's a survivor.  Coming through an ordeal that would test any human, more than likely bring them to their knees and most would have quit half way through it. It is part of his story, but it's not all who he is in the here and now.
When I look at Wooti, I see a lesson in trust and knowing.  Trust in something bigger than what ever we are currently dealing with and knowing that all things fall into place at the right time.  I also see in Wooti the reminder that every being on this earth can create a good life for themselves with that trust and knowing.  This dog, now, lives a life that no other dog will ever live, some people wish they could live, and he knows it and relishes in it everyday.  Is he the original lucky dog?  I guess.  I think Wooti got him in a bad place and figured out how to turn it around.  He was challenged and in his challenge, he challenged the people that helped him. He challenges people to this day to look inside themselves and do and be something greater than they ever thought they could be.  At least for a moment.  At least being open to catching that glimpse of their best selves, while they pet him. (did I mention he's an extremely loving dog? Again...considering his background...amazing!)
Some of you reading might be thinking..."It's a dog.  They don't have that thought process and they certainly can't be a Zen Master."  I feel if you ever get a chance to meet Wooti...it will change you mind.
Lastly, Wooti is my personal reminder that we do learn for all beings.  We all have gifts to share in the world and it is simple as showing up. A thought I keep talking about and find more and more the truth in that simple act. Showing up, fully. Embracing life and a the moment and contributing to life and this moment with all of our being.  It doesn't matter what has happened to you in the past.  All we have is now.  Now can be amazing.
So, I love Wooti.  Wootman.  Woot Diggity Dog.  Woot Dawg.  Woot Dawgy Dawg.
And yes this week's project is something for Wooti.   Since he is a Tripawd (that is the official term for 3 legs), he sometimes has trouble walking on slick floors.  I decided to create him some boots with dance rubber for traction, thinking it might help with this issue.  They are silly looking and I'm currently in the process of designing a better fitting set of boots.   Again, Wooti is challenging me to express my best self.
Wooti in his boots.  Resting after a very long road trip

What have you learned from contact with animals?  Past or present?  Are you open to learning more from them each day?

Until next week...create to feel great!
34 projects complete.   18 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment