Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Big Rush

On Christmas Eve, Broadside and I got together with a couple of friends that I only see about once a year.  As we were walking to meet them, Broadside asked me what I was carrying in my bag.  I said, "Gifts."   "Well, of course you have gifts for them.  What did I marry an elf?"  They were small gifts that I had made.  Chocolates and lip balms.   Our friends were touched.  I was thrilled to bring a bit of Christmas joy.
For years, I've been trying to figure out, what "gets into me" when it comes to gifts and giving. This time of year my energy seems to be at an amazing high and in high volume. This year, I've read several articles on studies that giving, especially making gifts, creates an adrenaline rush, that is the same rush folks get when they exercise.  This year, I've amped up my exercise and I was thinking of the theory.  I think there is a a correlation.
Making gifts is a process I truly enjoy. I love the process of finding the ideas, the materials (this year all local and/or upcyled.), I get to focus on the people while I'm making the gifts.  It really does give me a sense of calm and well being.   This also explains, perhaps, the after holiday drop in mood.   How I'm battling this feeling...well exercise!  Walking and Zumba!  Well, that and planning next Christmas, of course.  The articles also say that volunteering does the same thing.   I think it is the fact that we are engaged in a positive activity.  We are engaged in life.  We are engaged and giving of ourselves.  It is the ultimate in using our positive self to rid ourselves and the world of negativity.
So, this post is to all my friends, who get that look of overwhelm when I present them with the gifts I've made. You are supporting my well being and peace of mind.  It really is okay.  You are giving me so much, just by letting me make and give.

What do you think of this theory?  Makes sense to me.  Where do you like to give of yourself to give to others?
Until next week...create to feel great!

9 projects complete! 43 to go!    Happy New Year to you all!

A couple of the gifts I gave this year...wrist wallets.
Super great for on the go.  Runners, dancers, who ever.  Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment