Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Blessings of Creativity

It's been a tough week.  Hard.  My Mickeygirl kitty (see my second project), fell very ill on Tuesday.  She stopped eating, and as my Grandma liked to say, she's been sick from both ends.  Anyone who has known me for any length of time, know that my cats are very important to me.  They aren't just my cats, they are my friends and kids.  Yes, I'm a crazy cat lady.  So, when Mickeygirl fell ill this week, not only did this mean numerous vet visit, but the stress of getting her to eat and giving her SubQ fluids and meds.  At this posting she's not out of the woods, and I'm staying hopeful and praying a lot.  At some point I had to stop bargaining with God, I kept hearing a little voice say, "Stop. Stop.  Go get creative."   This week's project, I had already planned to make Gus T. Ruthin, our new boy cat, who came to live with us a month after Jack Mackrel passed, his own Christmas stocking.   I have made a Christmas stocking for everyone of my cats, Gus was to be no different.

I usually try to make a stocking that is reflective of some aspect of my cat's personality.  Lewis, my first cat, knocked down the Christmas tree, his stock is an artist depiction of that event.  Jack, was always nick named the Big Fish.  So, his stocking is fish with Santa hats.  Mickeygirl...she loves birds and Laser Mouse, and she is all about love. Her stocking is birds, red rhinstones and hearts.  Before she got ill, Mickey suggested that we just use a plastic bag for Gus's stocking, as he loves to eat plastic.  For me, Gus is a lot like Puss in Boots.  So, that was my choice.
Putting this stocking together came at a time when I needed a project to take my mind away for a few minutes. It really wasn't difficult.  I downloaded a Puss in Boots illustration and cut out the pieces and glued them down on a stocking form I cut out, adding my own touches.

Today I was talking to a friend about Mickeygirl's situation, I was emotional, and crying.  She asked me if I journal.  I do journal.  I went on to say, that creating things, sitting at my sewing machine or cooking or baking or gluing felt on felt...in some ways works like journaling for me.  In that moment making that statement, I felt really blessed, for my creativity.  It's always there for me.  Always.  It has never let me down.  Some folks fight this feeling, or are afraid of the power of their creativity.  It's a blessing, my creativity has led me on paths and hasn't taken me places I could not imagine.  It keeps me growing and learning. More importantly it's my comfort in all times.  Right now with Mickey's situation, I'm in need of comfort.  I'm going to go create some stuff.

Until next week...Create to feel great.
10 project complete....42 to go!  

No comments:

Post a Comment