Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Old Razzle Dazzle

"You must not let your life run in the ordinary way; do something that nobody else has done, something that will dazzle the world.  Show that God's creative principle works in you."~ Paramahansa Yogananda

This was the quote of the day on my desk Zen calendar.  At first read, I thought. "Wow! It's something I aspire to, but that's a lot of pressure."  This dazzling the world stuff.  And yet the last line says, "Show that God's creative principle works in you."   That's the key.  Tapping in to that principle. I think when I do that, the dazzling takes care of its self.  How can it not?  I'm in tune with something bigger than all of us.  An abundant channel for creating, bringing joy into my life and just having a great deal of fun. I also feel that tapping into that principal is as simple as waking up in the morning and being. We are all so unique that we tap into this principal in maybe the same way, but get something that no one else has done or could do, 'cause that's one of the gifts from the source. Our uniqueness.
My case in point happened this week.  I'm working on costumes for a show.  The show is set in 1950.  Well-to-do characters.  I've noticed that I always get a little bit of a creative block when starting to work on a show.  I figured it's that I feel like I have to dazzle everyone with my most dazzling designs.  It creates a ball of fear, tension, anxiety.  I do get over it, as I get the costumes put together.  This week I just couldn't shake this ball of fear.  With it came with stupid decisions, or worse, no decisions, not a lot of work getting done and feeling negativity setting in.  I realized that I was trying way too hard.  The desire to "dazzle the world", only resulted in my stirring up a big old pot of doubt.  A total waste of time and certainly no fun.  I realized I had stepped away from tapping into that big old creative channel.  I went to bed that night with only one thought, to sleep and to be when I wake up.  Sure enough, I woke up with a big deep breath and as my day unfolded, I was tapped in.  Ideas, and intuitive "hits" on where to get the most excellent items for cheap came to me.  I felt light and free.  In the flow.  I think I'm coming up with some pretty dazzling stuff and it certainly fits the look of the show, and at the same time has my style all over it.  I feel when we really show up with our gifts, we dazzle.  When we hide our gifts..not so much dazzling going on.

I'm not sure what this week's project has to do with dazzling the world.  Except, that I needed a pin cushion for my traveling sewing kit and my hat making sewing kit.  I was using a piece of tired old foam on both cases. No fun.  I'm also celebrating Spring and it's coming...so more flower like items.  Perhaps, these pin cushions will serve as a cheerful reminder to once again tap into the creative principal and let the dazzling flow. As Spring is springing out all over, everyday I see bright beautiful flowers showing up and they are dazzling.  They tap into what is given them to grow and then they are not afraid or ashamed to  show up and be the beautiful flowers they are.  Are we any different than the flowers?  Simple.  Well, yes it's simple.  And isn't it a relief that it is sometimes?
How will you tap into this wonderfully abundant creative principle and dazzle the world?  No pressure.  Really, I mean it.
Until next week..create to feel great!   And tap in to dazzle!
23 projects complete. 29 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment