Saturday, June 26, 2010

On The "Make"

One of my favorite newsletters, that I get weekly, comes from Barbara Winter.  She's the "Joyfully Jobless", "Make A Living Without A Job" founder.  Her newsletters are always fun and full of ideas.  Her last one, she focused on the word "make."  She claims that it is one of the most used words in our language.  I think she's on to something.  She got me thinking.  I love the word "make."  Not just because I'm always making stuff or making something, but because it's got a feeling of forward movement to it.  It's got a feeling of endless possibilities.  Making trouble. Making fun.  Making friends.  Making sense.  Making it real.  Making a big deal. Or simoply make deal.  Making me mad.  Making me laugh. Making dinner. Make a party of it. Make love (not war).  Even Santa is "Making a list and checking it twice."  And for my kitties, when they need with their paws...I've heard it called "making muffins."  All this is forward movement in our lives.  And importantly, in the moment.  The classics... "making hay while the sunshines" and "making things right", I have to be in the moment to do these things.
For a positive take on things, how about, "making the best of things" or "making do" as opposed to "getting by".  The first two are positive and gives us permission to create and make things.  The second sounds like a dead end and at best boring.  Even make up.  Transforming...either to a relationship or your face.   Again, more in the moment forward movement.  Making and creating really go hand in hand for me.  I'm creating a project, essentially making something, every week, in order to create or make a more positive life experience for me.  Hopefully with that positive attitude carry it out into the world, thus making it a better place to live. Making a difference. Making a contribution.
In her newsletter, Barbara Winter challenged readers to join her in a year of "making".  She suggested readers keep a notebook and pen by their beds.  As they wake up each morning, ask, "what will I make today?"  Write down the first thing that comes to mind.  No censoring or this is too simple or this doesn't make sense, just write it down. It can be simple (make a shopping list, make time for me.) or complex (make something to cap the oil spilling into the Gulf).  I'm so on this!  I love the possibilities of this challenge as well.  Our sleeping minds hold so much for us, all we have to do is ask.

So, what did I make this week?  Well, tons and tons of things, but for this blog and Campaign.  It's a French Press Cozy.  These things are amazing and really do work they really do keep my coffee in the pot warmer for longer, and they are cute and colorful.  Some quilting, some sewing, some designing and added fun with buttons.
What will you make today?
Until next week...create to feel great.
37 projects complete. 15 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment