Saturday, July 3, 2010

Traveling Through Life

It's been an interesting week for me.   I wouldn't say especially eventful. Although, teaching Mr. D. how to make rice and pancakes, was not only fun, and I would put it in the event category.  This was one of those weeks where a lot was going on, and a lot was tossed at me as I ran by, and when I stopped for a moment, a lot of thoughts, ideas, and feelings surfaced up.  It was one of those "what the hell am I doing here? (meaning- what the hell am I doing with my life?) weeks.   I have those every so often. Sometimes, I don't control them. They simply decide to show up and camp out in my head.  At first I embrace these thoughts and feelings, like a old friend.  I invite them to hang out, I sometimes serve tea.   Then after about two days.   These thoughts and feelings turn into the really bad house guests, something in the vein of the house guests from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.  Once I've allowed them to settle in, it's all I can do to get them to pack up the trashy R.V. they have parked in front of my house and get them to leave.  Not soon after, I start feeling like I'm living in the trashy R.V that is park in front of my house.  I'd drive off in it only I can't find the keys and I know the battery is dead ,radiator is busted, and the tires are flat.
That was sort my week, this week.  Not great for a Campaign touting creativity for banish negativity.  Yet there is and always is, this focus.  And the focus of this Campaign helps me rise up, so to speak.  If only to keep myself aware of all the gifts that we all get showered on us at any given moment of the day.  And now, looking at, this week there were many.
As a fore mentioned, I had the wonderful opportunity to teach Mr. D how to cook pancakes and rice.  It's all in prep for his life, and I feel great being a part of that.
Thursday night, I went to an event for The Busted Foundation, called Bowling For Boobies.  It was a fundraising event, and also celebrated a dear friend and amazing person and contributor to the world, survival from breast cancer.  It was organized by young adults in the hip hop community.  It was amazing to see old friends and the energy for these "kids."  My friend's son and a very talented and socially aware hip hop artist, was there, he is now grown to adulthood, well into his 20's.  He hugged me and said it was great to see me.  He also said he never really thanked me for giving him his first drum, it set him on a path, and support his love of making music.
I not blogging to brag here.  I blogging to remind myself and others, that there are amazing gifts every moment of every day.  When I'm allowing the negative thoughts and feelings to camp out in me, I can miss those really great gems of life. 
To round out my week, I got a reminder of R. Buckminster Fuller. When he was in his 30's, he was penniless, had no way to feed his family, was drinking and thinking about suicide.   He instead decided to embark on an experiment to find what a single individual could contribute to changing the world and benefiting humanity.  With that as a focus, he created and contributed some fantastic things, and had an amazing life.  I think he spent the next 53 or so years doing this.  Now that's what I call a Campaign.

With some encouragement, I'm embarking on adding yoga back to my life.  I have three yoga studios within walking distance of my house, one at the end of my block.  When I discovered that for yoga, you can not only have cute outfits, but mats and a bag to carry the mat in, yoga might be fun to explore again. The project this week is a yoga mat carry bag.  This week's bag is for Mr. D.  (I have mine almost finished.)  He's a constant source of inspiration and it's my way of supporting him in taking healthy steps.  So, surprise, Mr. D!

So, on this weekend, we as a nation celebrate so many freedoms.  We have the freedom to create the life we want.  One moment at a time.   We have the freedom to choose, a trashy R.V. full of negative thoughts and feelings parked in front of our house or the great R. Buckminster Fuller life experiment. What's it gonna be?  You get to choose.

Until next week...create to feel great!                                              38 projects complete! 14 to go!

P.S. For the record, I don't have anything against R.V.'s, R.V. camping or traveling.

1 comment:

  1. Yessssss!!! Thank you. And way to go with yoga! You'll have to tell me how it goes.

    ReplyDelete