Saturday, July 31, 2010

Not So Invisible Support

I view myself as the "go to girl."  The person who people come to when things need to get done and know it will get done.  I like it. I love that feeling of being supportive and helpful.  Yet, when it comes to myself, I'm not so great at asking for that support. I just hate to bother people. I don't want to impose. I'll tough it through.  I'm learning the value of support, and truely the importance of support.
A couple of weeks ago, I really needed to shovel out (and I do mean shovel out) my studio space.  I have some big theater projects coming in the next season and I just could not see myself crawling over a huge pile of patterns all year, while complaining. "I really need to clean this place up."  With the support and urging of some close friends, I set a date to spend the day shoveling.  My friend Suzi offered to send me cell text messages of encouragement.  I took her up on the offer.  In the back of my mind I kept thinking. "That's cool, but I don't think I need that."  The day I chose turned out to be the hottest day of our summer (hopefully the only one).  As I was eating  breakfast, the first of the day's texts arrived.  Upbeat, encouraging, and a real butt kicker.  It wasn't what Suzi said that kicked my butt, it was the reminder of the comittment, the feeling of completion, how easy it will be to work in a clean studio.  I was on the verge of "weaseling out", and that first text  and her support, got me in the studio working.  Throughout the day, I got texts just at the points when I wanted to quit.  Not only do I so hate cleaning and organizing stuff, the room was getting progressively hotter.  We celebrated the progress, Suzi encouraged me to continue on.  End of the day, it was hot as blazes, I wasn't finished, but I had a plan of attack and scheduled a day to complete.  Which I did, and I now have a clean space to enjoy and create in.  Just the ease of walking in there is wonderful.
So, a huge shout out and thank you to Suzi for her support on this project. It really made the difference.

This week, I was feeling like this Campaign is rounding the home stretch.  For whatever reason, I was feeling like I was complete.  Maybe a little bored? I think I keep saying the same thing over and over. The projects are sort lackluster.  I don't know.  I saw my friend Patty, and she presented me with this very cool coffee mug that had a very simple message printed on it.  "Life isn't about finding yourself.  Life is about creating yourself."  Patty told me that it was an early celebration present for the completion of  The Campaign.  What she said next to me was as powerful as the mug's quote.  "When you're done.  I'm going to miss your blog."  In that moment, I realized I'm so not complete here, I had more I wanted to do.  In fact, I've had some ideas as to how to continue The Campaign and perhaps expand it.  (More to come on that statement...so, stay tuned.)  I didn't ask for Patty's support, but I know it's there, and if I ever needed anything, she and has been more than happy to help me in anyway she could.  Thank you, Patty!

These are just two examples of support that I experience in my life.  I have attracted so many wonderful people in my life.  I know that are they are people of such wonderful, compassionate and supportive character that they would never consider it a bother to respond to a request of support, as they willing offer and provide it to me all the time, I'd even say on a daily basis. 
Community and unity are things I place a high value on in my life.  I'm beginnng to see that asking for support, when I need it, is as important as providing support to others.  It's helps all parties involved an opportunity to grow and evolve as people.  Providing support to someone, allows us to take a step up.  Asking for support from someone, also allows us to take that step up.   I've found both steps, bring me closer to all those wonderful people in my life.
I'm proud of the support I've created in my life.  I couldn't do what I do without all of you.
I want to say thank you to all of you who are in my life.  I treasure your friendship, insights, love and support.
My project this week is a heart shaped lavender wreath.  It hangs outside my front door, and really smells  great.  Evertime I walk by the wreath, it will be my reminder of all the support I have in my life.  It's just a matter of reaching out and asking, because I know it's there.

Are you at asking for support?  Are you more of a giver or a taker or do you have a balance?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Until next week...create to feel great!
42 projects complete 10 to go!

Mickeygirl Update!
The Atomic Queen of Cats, is home from a four day hospital stay.  She is slowly transforming into the Mickeygirl we knew before all her illnesses kicked a year ago.  The down side, is we have to limit close contact to her for a month.  We get an hour a day and after than, we have to stay a foot away from each other.  We're figuring it out.  Welcome back, Mickeygirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment