Saturday, July 23, 2011

When The Game Changes

I often heard it said that the only thing in life that certain to happen is change.  If this is true, then why are there so many folks afraid of change?  Is it that change is viewed as the ultimate "I'm not in control here!" moment.  Or is there fear that we won't be able to handle the change. Or is it the fact that it shakes up our comfort.  And let's admit it...cats aren't the only creatures who love and seek out their comfort on a moment by moment bases.
Yet changing things up and creating positive changes in our own life is good.  It's still scary.  There are still the unknown elements that are out of our control. Sometimes it can be uncomfortable.  And yes there is that element of what if I try this or make this change and it doesn't work out for me?   So, do we stay afraid of change or embrace it and welcome it into our life?  I think we cannot help but in embrace it as a fact.  I mean really, when you look at change in a very basic form, we experience it everyday, even if we knowledge it our not.  When we wake up in the morning.  It's a new day.  That's change from the day before.  Even if you feel that the new day is more of the same it isn't.  That's what I like to call small scale change. A baby step for those who have trouble embracing change.  Try on the thought that every new day is a day for change in our lives.  No matter how small.  With a little daily practice, soon you'll discover your are getting comfortable the change, and maybe ready to create other- bigger- changes in your life. Just like the new day, change in our lives is forward moving.  Let's make it a positive forward movement.   Oh, and here's something for control freaks...getting comfortable with change and making and embracing change as part of your life...is a great way to stay in control of you.  It also helps to know how to react when changes come at us that we don't like so much.
This week's project is sort of a toss back to when I was a kid.  Embroidered dishcloths with retro looking kitties.  In my weirdly wired mind, they symbolize how awesome change can be.

Is there one little tiny change you could make in  your life that might result in bring you more joy and lightness?
Until next week...create to feel great!
40 projects complete!!!  12 to go (the not so dirty dozen!)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful and inspiring, as always, DeeDee! And so true. It's funny; I've had so much turbulence over the last couple of years, that I was thinking about it yesterday, and although I'm looking forward to "stability" in theory, I'm actually kind of afraid of it--because for me, that "routine" in and of itself is change...ever since I moved to Portland, actually, I've always lived with the sense that my situation was only temporary, and a piece of me is afraid of the change of...well, unchange! So I really appreciated reading this, and look very forward to our talk on Wednesday! Thanks for the perpetual inspiration, DeeDee!

    ReplyDelete