Friday, May 11, 2012

Back To The Trenches

"The secret of joy in work is contained in one word - excellence.  To know how to do something well is to enjoy it."~ Pearl S. Buck

Last year, I decided to take a break from doing costume work. I've created costumes off and on for over 25 years.  I wanted and needed a break to allow myself to explore other creative avenues.
An interesting and possibly fun project presented itself to me in the last month.  A production of Hamlet set in a graveyard.  Modern dress.  Hum...  the timing was right.  The pay was okay.  It is with a company I have enjoyed working with in the past.  I'll do it.
I've been told I know what I'm doing when it comes to costumes. It is sort of in my blood. I grew up around it.  Over the years, I've had a real love/hate relationship with it.  I love the creating. I love working with the people. I love theater.  I hate the hours I have to spend.  I hate it that there are some people for which there is no pleasing-ever! The visions are always huge and the budgets are very tiny tiny tiny.  It challenges me on all levels of my process.  I have to be a diplomat, a designer, seamstress, artisan, psychologist, mind reader and magician. So love/hate.   Yet I think that happens with anything or anyone we love.  We sometime just get worn down.  That is the point,  when I look at and ask how might I create excellence.  I know costumes.  I truly and really do.   As I start to work on this project, my plan is to focus on excellence.  I have already started that. Guess what?  I'm discovering a new joy is something that could be so automatic for me.  Yes this show is not without the challenges and frustrations.  I'm going to continue to challenge myself to create in the mode of excellence.  Celebrate the joy.  Even when I'm digging in the trenches to get the work completed on time.

I'll let you know how I do.
Until next week...Create to feel great!
27 projects complete! 25 to go!

This week's project...bow ties.  For the production.  Why don't I just go buy them?  Well, I have the fabric. And at $3.00 to $5.00 a piece and needing 6.  I saved $18.00 to $30.00 bucks of an already tiny budget.  Plus, it is a fun project.

No comments:

Post a Comment