Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Big Black Block

I have been writing and creating for this blog for getting close to 3 years.  Each week, I go merrily along my way.  I create and write and post. I let folks know I'm posting with a Facebook announcement.  I have some followers and there are comments, at times.

This last week, I discovered my Blogger account had been hacked.  I had one sick Blog on my hands.  I'm not the most savvy of computer users.  I know just enough to get me in trouble (and have fun).   This hacking and being listed as a harmful site was shocking and a little embarrassing to me.  Once I got over the denial. "This is a mistake.  It isn't happening to me.  Who would do this to a creativity/positive growth blog?"  The anger.  "Damn it Google.  Dam it Firefox.  Damn it non existent tech support!"  And the defeat.  "This doesn't matter.  No one reads what I write anyway.  It is just a stupid blog.  Might be time to hang it up."
Woza!  A classic creative, moving towards my dreams and goal block.  Staring at me in all it's nasty little ugly glory.  It was like the negativity monsters were giggling at me and having a great little party in my head.
This blog attack isn't personal.  The people who set these things up and attach sites with malware and all the other junk they have in their creative arsenal are after me.  They don't even know or care to know me. 
And I know folks read and enjoy my blog.  I love doing this blog.   My blog was sick it needed me to use my creativity to banish the negativity. 
Given my very limited and awkward knowledge of all things computer and tech related I didn't even know where to start.  I asked Broadside (who is my tech geek).  He rolled his eyes and said, "That's a mess.  You might want to just give this up."  Not the answer I was looking for.  
Time to employ some basic "get 'er done" creativity principals.  Time to check inside myself and pull up what is needed to fix this issue.
I asked myself...How curious am I being?  Am I asking questions or doing the research?  Or just tossing my hands up and walking away. 
How flexible am I being in my approach or thinking about this problem?  Just because I don't know a lot about computers and the lingo.  Doesn't mean I can't fix this.  I had to let go of the fact that I don't know everything and had to be willing to find out what I don't know.
Am I willing to get out of my Comfort Zone?  This means really focusing in an area I don't know about.  Almost like going to foriegn country.
Lastly, was I willing to devote the energy to this?  I asked myself how important is fixing this blog?  The thought crossed my mind to just walk away and NOT fix this problem.

As I headed into this new world of saving my blog, I looked at like an adventure.   I kept asking myself those four questions.  I kept asking Google questions.  I kept at the attempt to save my blog and rid it of the junk.   This morning, I did a Google search for my blog and the dreaded message that this site could harm your computer was gone.  I checked in on Blogger's WebMaster tools and got the message that I had no threats and my blog is once again healthy.
So, take that Malware and hackers!  Creativity does indeed banish negativity!  Score one for my team!!!
I feel really good about this and all I learned in the process.  I'm still no techno geek, but I can at least get around with the computers a bit better.

I'm going to start to use these questions with much more awareness for future issues and creations.

Are you facing an isssue or the big black block that is getting in the way of what you want for your life?
Are you willing to work with these questions and see where the outcome takes you?  I'd love to hear how that goes for you!

Until next week...create to feel great!              
34 projects complete! 18 to go!

This week I created a zipper bag out of red brocade.  I couldn't find a pattern I liked, so I made one myself. I hope the person I'm sending this to enjoys it.

No comments:

Post a Comment