Saturday, October 13, 2012

Do It My Way

I discovered a couple of weeks ago that I've been knitting the "wrong way" for over 40 years.  I've been poking around on how dos on the internet and in books to see if there is any one describing the way I knit.  I'm yet to find it.  My Granny once chided me for how I knit saying, "what monkey taught you to knit?"  At the time I didn't think anything about it.  I just kept on knitting my way for the next 40 years.  Oh, well.  I do a lot of things not the way most folks do them.  I think I sometimes see the world very differently from the rest of the world.  Oh, well.  That's me.  At turning 56 years old next week, I'm at the I don't really give a damn what folks think stage of my life.   That's not to say I'm insensitive to others.  I really strife to be aware in the world of others and their feelings.  It's just that I don't care that I don't knit the way everyone else does.  Or that I sing in stores as I shop, sometimes do a little jig.  That I'm married to a man who is just as odd as I am.  Or that I spend my days mostly with two cats and I talk to them like good old dear friends.  There are a million other ways I might be viewed as weird.  So be it. I'm embracing life my way.  I'm not hurting myself or others so I'm going for it.  And I'm feeling so good, real and honest about who I am that I'm not going to stop.  Besides, I live in Portland, Oregon- one of the city's outcries is "Keep Portland Weird."  Believe me I have a long way to go before I'm even begin to register on Portland's weird scale.
I've come to realize being who we really and truly are in all aspects of our lives is a cornerstone to be happy and positive.  The feel is good. Not one of shame.  Yes I have some aspects I'm working to change or develop but the overall product that is me is pretty good.

So, let me ask you all this....Are you living life your way?

Until next week...Create to fell great!
50 projects complete! (yes 50!) 2 to go!   Finish line is in site!!!
This week's project is a neck warmer.  The stitch is one I came up with on my own.  Yes it is knitting.


No comments:

Post a Comment