Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Company We Keep

"Won't it be dull when we rid ourselves of all the demons haunting us, to keep us company..."
~War On Drugs  by Stephen Paige of The Bare Naked Ladies 

I love the above quote.  The song is a little sad, and yet in that comes forth a gem of a thought.
I've been thinking a lot about some of the changes I've been making in my life since I started this Campaign.  My entire process, approach to my world and life have shifted considerably.  I'm not perfect.  I'm not even practically perfect in everyway, and I say this because I have a way to go.
There are parts of me that I've been looking at and weighing the value of keeping them.  I believe we only keep what we value.  We have to see a value in something, no matter how small in order for us to want it around.  This goes for clutter, ideas, attitudes, ways of being, people, habits and especially our demons.  Those demons are tricky buggers.  They dress up nicely and rationally.  They look safe and pretty.  They are, sadly, the only one who really knows and cares for us. There there, dear one.  They bring us comfort with their drama.  Because sometimes, that is the only thing that makes us feel alive.  Really be honest here.  We know we shouldn't let them play in our life, but ridding ourselves of them is frankly hard tough work.  It's like trying to get rid of black berry thickets.  It seems like there is always more and it is exhausting to deal with them.  And really what will I do with me when they are gone?  Good question. What do you do?  There will be a void.  A big old void, and I've said this before...misery loves company.  People flock to misery, to drama, to negative thoughts.  It is so mindless this flocking.  They resist a celebration of good and consider it a duty (I a good person would be happy for them.  A good person wants the best for others.  A good person has positive thoughts.)
So what will you do when the demons are chased out of your life, and maybe no one, except you, really cares?  Try this.  Fill the void with peace.  Time to create a stronger life for you.  Time to create.  Time.  As you won't be filling your time with feeding or battling demons. Plan your celebration of your life.  Surround yourself with positive, loving people, thoughts and animals.
And like black berry thickets, your battle with the demons will  eventually go away. When they decide to show up, like black berries they are easier to puck out and toss in the compost bin.  They get smaller and smaller and take up less room in your now more beautiful garden/life.

Are there demons you are holding on do that you are afraid that if you let them go you wouldn't know what to do?

Until next week...create to feel great

4 projects complete!  48 to go!
This week  I made red baby shoes for a good friend's first Grand baby?  I mean what girl doesn't need a pair of red shoes.  As my Granny would say, "One never has a bad time when wearing red shoes."  That's for real.

3 comments:

  1. Hello and greetings from South Carolina :)
    I'm kisscut91 from swap-bot and I just checked your blog.
    It looks so great!
    Anyways, keep up and I'll follow you from now on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dd my our granny really say that! She sounds hilarious hehe! Love your idea to do a project count down this year. I also like your philosophy. Loved visiting, and I'm now following :) from the blog swap. Tara x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is great, what a good idea! Also, hi, I'm from Portland too :)

    -alexalgebra from Swap-Bot

    ReplyDelete