Saturday, February 6, 2010

Socktopus- Eight Arms to Love You With

By now, you more than likely know that I love my cats, Mickeygirl and Gus Gus T. Ruthin.  I feel blessed to be their guardian.  I feel blessed to have them in my life.   Today is Gus's 5th Birthday.   It is also marks one year, since we met at the shelter I was volunteering at and adopted him from.  
I have heard that shelter cats are the best cats in the world.   I know this first hand from my years with Mickeygirl, and now my time with Gus.   There is an appreciation they show and they are not afraid to really let you know just how much they love you unconditionally.
So, for Mr. Gus's 5th Birthday, and I suspect the first one he has ever celebrated, I thought it was fitting for me to make him a Socktopus filled with catnip.  Easy to make with some knee socks I got at Dollar Tree, and I always have catnip and stuffing. 
I presented  it to Gus, along with a blanket and some cat toys given to me by some fellow crafters who I was sitting next to at the Hip Happening Craft Show, today.  He was overwhelmed.  Mickeygirl had to show him how this celebrating birthday thing is done.  Soon they were both enjoying Socktopus.
He stopped mid playing and came over and sat in my lap and purred.  He looked up at me as if to say, "Thank you, mom.  Oh, and I love you."
I learn a lot from my cats.  Lessons on life and love.  I'm grateful to them for these lessons.
I like Socktopus so much, and it makes me smile..I got struck with idea to make some more and give them away to people (more than likely kids) who are in need of something to make them smile. Maybe a local childrens hospital or the kids of Haiti.   I'm going to look into it.
So, watch out for Operation Socktopus.  As I'm grateful for all the blessings I have in my life, and I want to share the blessings, and love.  Really how fitting for February, the month I consider, the month of love.
Until next week...create to feel great.
17 Projects completed. 35 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment