Saturday, May 1, 2010

Hooked on a Feelin'

This has been a very busy month for me.  Most folks who know me, would say. "When are you not busy?"
Well, April, has been a bit more on the busy side.  And on top of it all, I've been smacked with a huge case of the "lazies."  We all know the "lazies".  That feeling of there is so much to do, but all I want to do is nap.
That's been my month.  I've wanted and taken many a nap this month, while attempting to get all I've committed to complete. It doesn't make for especially inspired projects for the campaign, although, I really like all I have created this month.  Usually, when I'm busy, I still find time for knitting.  Knitting relaxes me and helps me stay focused. No matter how busy, stressed or whatever, knitting a few rows always shifts my mood and relaxes me.  As of late, I've re-discovered crocheting.  The ease and quickness of the projects.  The motion of working the hook with the yarn.  It's so relaxing and almost zen like in it's creation.  It feels different and has a different effect on me than the knitting does.  Crocheting is faster, and yet I have to look at what I'm doing to crochet. Sidebar, I've been known to knit in a dark room, feeling the stitches as I go along, and no the project doesn't look like it's been knit in a dark room...it turns out well.
Crocheting provided me with an entirely different focus.  For me it's a true zen in the moment craft.  I haven't yet figured out a way to escape that. You know craft on one thing and mind is still racing about everything else.  I haven't figured out a way to do that with crocheting....not yet...hopefully I won't ever.
So, far this month, I've created a bookworm, an angel, a smiley face, a butterfly, and this week...a blue bunny wearing lime green shorts.  When I was a kid, I use to love crocheting animals.  I made bears and cats for all my nieces and nephews.  Back then...they were called crocheted animals, now this form of crocheting is called amigurumi. And I guess it's now a trendy Japanese craft.  Who knew? This week I was being all Zen and Trendy.  
This little guy (well he's fairly good size) was so easy to make and quick.  It seemed like it was completed before I started.  No, this bunny isn't filled with catnip for Gus and Mickeygirl.  It will go to some lucky little kid, before too long. (Nieces and Nephews are now havng kids of their own).
I was able to meet the challenges of this week, meet the "lazies" on their own turf with a nap or two and make a cute blue bunny with lime green shorts.  I'm happy I re-discovered crocheting, I don't think it will ever replace my beloved knitting, but it's nice to have crocheting back in the mix.  Better still, it's nice to re-discover something from my past that I use to do to bring me joy and a smile to my face.  Again I'm reminded that joy is in the simple things and in the simple things of this moment.
Is there something in your past that you could re-discover to bring you joy and a smile to your face today?

Until next week create to feel great! 
29 projects complete 23 weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment