Saturday, February 12, 2011

Now We Are Six- A Celebration Of Gus

When I was One,  I had just begun.
When I was Two,  I was nearly new.
When I was Three, I was hardly me.
When I was Four, I was not much more.
When I was Five, I was just alive.
But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever. ~ From Now We Are Six By A.A. Milne

The wonderful, sweet, bouncy Mr. Gus turned six years old this week.  I met him at the shelter, when he was four.  The day he came into the shelter, was my day to volunteer.  He was like no cat to come into the shelter.  New arrivals at the shelter usually have this look of "what the hell has happened to me?"  They are kept in a cage of a few days to adjust. Gus was a golden bright light shining in his cage.  He looked like he had a smile on his face as he rolled around in his cage and poking his paw out of the cage to grab at me as I passed him.  One of the other volunteers commented that Gus was flirting with me.  He sure was. I couldn't resist opening his cage to pet him.  He crawled up on my shoulders and purred.  Since I was nursing my old man cat, Jack, at the time, I really didn't want to fall in love with Gus.  Weeks and months passed with me going to the shelter every Wednesday afternoon ,sometimes on other days, I got to see Gus, settle in quickly, and soon formed a "gang" of other orange and red boy cats in the main room.  Gus, Little Red Toby, Little Ricky and Thor, spent their days teasing the little kittens, and intimidating the old lady cats.  They were wild and out of control.  Soon Gus found himself in the back room (the shelter directors broke up the gang), and he was the favorite of the volunteers, everyone knew he was a special boy.  Three days after Jack passed, I was at the shelter, cleaning in the back room.  Gus jumped into my arms from the high ledge of the cat tree. I began to cry.  I was still feeling the pain of loosing my Jack.  Gus began to lick my tears, he put his paw on my cheek.
I hugged him and cried in his fur for what seemed like forever.  He was warm, soft and smelt like cinnamon.
I didn't want to fall in love with him, but  I did.  A couple of weeks later, I adopted him.  I had no idea what a remarkable cat he would be.  What a purfect fit he would be for our family.  He's magical, in his soft, bouncy little way.  He has positive cat-attitude.  He brings joy to all who meet him.  Even Mickeygirl loves and adores him.  I'm looking forward to many years with this goofy, silly, loving boy cat.  I really wish he could stay six for ever and ever!
Gus shows me everyday that a sunny outlook is everything, it is key to getting to where and what you want in life. There is no such thing as too much love. Either giving or receiving.  He reminds what great teachers animals are.  And still don't know why his fur smells like cinnamon, but it does.
For his sixth birthday, I made him a tent.  A special place all his own, 'cause now he is six.  Happy Birthday, Mr. Gus.
Mr. Rubber Rat waits for Gus to come home
Until next week...create to feel great! 
17 projects complete. 35 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment