Saturday, February 26, 2011

Five Dollar Friday- Crafty Hour

Every day is a new chance to choose.
Choose to change your perspective.
Choose to flip the switch in your mind. Turn on the light and stop fretting about with insecurity and doubt.
Choose to do your work and be free of distraction. Choose to see the best in someone, or choose to bring out the worst in them. Choose to be a laser beam, with focused intention, or a scattered ray of light that doesn't do any good. - Ishita Gupta
 Portland, Oregon, the town I live in, is one creative place.  I've lived here for years, and I don't know how or why, but it attracts some very creative people.  I feel luck to have the resources at my fingertips for any sort of crazy creating.  My new favorite place in the the world is Collage.  It's this amazing store with a bit of everything.  Paper, paint, stamps, ribbons, and just tons and tons of cool stuff that as I walk by it on the shelves tugs at my creativity.  They also offer wonderful unique classes.  These classes are taught by wonderful, nurturing and unique teachers.  On Fridays, Collage offers mini crafty/arty classes.  They are only an hour long.  And only cost five dollars.  I've been looking at these for months now.  Last Friday I decided to go to Five Dollar Friday at Collage.  This week's craft- Collage tags dipped in wax.  I had no idea what this was. I do know I like dipping stuff in wax.
The craft tables were packed with women wanting to shed their week, and start their week end.  The teacher was funny and easy to understand.  The process is a simple one...make a collage on a tag and dip it in wax.  I really didn't want to over think this hour. I was there for fun!  I quickly pulled out images I liked and got to work.  I was trying to figure out what people do with the completed tags.  I guess anything.  Come to discover, the teacher loves to dip things in wax as well. So, why not collaged tags?
About 20 minutes into the hour, a woman in a wheelchair showed up with two other women, we all quickly found out, the women, were her caregivers and that the woman in the wheel chair was 96 years old.  This elderly woman was complaining about why she had to come to a craft class.  "No body cares about this shit anyway." (her words not mine).  She bitched and crafted for a good 15 minutes.  Making everyone at the craft tables uncomfortable.  Her caregivers were ignoring her and crafting away.  After what seemed like the 25th time this woman stated. "Nobody cares about me or this crafting shit", at the top of her voice,I looked up at her and said. "I'm very glad you are here. I like what you have created."  She was startled.  Her Caregiver smiled and went right on crafting.  After a very quiet moment at the craft table.  The 96 year old women said. "Thank you."  I smiled at her and said. "You're welcome."  Sighs were heard around the craft table and chatter was picked up again. There was no more bitchin and moanin and at the end of the hour, I overheard my 96 year old friend say. "That was fun."
I was glad that woman had come to Five Dollar Friday.  However, it is my wish for her that if she chooses to come to Five Dollar Friday again, she leaves her bitchin' at the door.  You know we all can leave our bitchin' at the door. We can also choose to bring our best selves as well.  It's all about choice. I think sometimes it is easy to forget to bring our best, life gets to us.  And the bitchin' is always ready to come with us. It's is easy to let our life curcumstances get to us.  As struggle in all the stuff of life that gets heaped on us day to day,  we forget what our best selves really look like. We have a choice to find that or wallow in the negative and make everyone around us uncomfortable. My judgement is that is what might have happened to our 96 year old craft mate, for a moment she maybe forgot her best self.
Are you willing to bring your best self to life? 
Until next week create to feel great!
19 projects complete! 33 to go
 

No comments:

Post a Comment