Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Power Of Words

Our English Language is so complex in some ways and so simple in others.  I always struggled to learn foreign languages.  I'm not good at it.  I speak a little Cat French but very little. There are times when Mickeygirl walks off in disgust at my lack of Cat French speaking skills.  Yet I love the English Language.  I've had page a day calendars with a new word everyday.  I like to play word games.  I love to write, and I certainly love to talk.
This week my lesson around the language came in an odd form.  The choice of words I've heard people use.
I'm not talking about swear words, although I think some of these words might qualify in my mind.  I'm talking about the use of words I see as negative in just everyday talk, and folks being okay with that.  The word I'm talking about is "hate".  I might be being sensitive here, but I feel the word hate needs to be used with caution.  And yet, it is okay to hate vegetables, flavors of ice cream, types of music, TV shows, etc.  For some people that word is okay for everyday all the time usage.  For me I think it needs to be reserved for evil and extreme cases. In my opinion, if folks checked the use of that one word in their everyday speak, I feel their mind set would move closer to the positive.  I feel it is that strong and powerful of a word.  Even as I write this, I'm feeling a little down.
I believe in the power of words.  Our choice of words is one the areas we can control in our lives, and help us create a more positive outlook.  If you don't believe me...try it sometime.  Take a word that has a negative charge to it and find a more positive word or way to express that thought.  Example...Instead of hating that cauliflower or okra.  Don't really care for cauliflower or okra.  Yeah it's simple, but shifting our thought patterns are just that...simple.
Are there other words that charge negative that make feel less than energized and positive?  How do you want to shift them to the positive?

I'm wanting Spring, so to coax it to get there, I thought maybe a Spring hat pincushion might be in order.  Complete with it's own hat box.

Until next week create to feel great!
26 projects complete!  26 to go!  It's Half Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment