Saturday, April 2, 2011

In Praise Of Friendship

This last week, I spent yet another wonderful afternoon with one of my oldest and dearest friends.  We made Spring cards.  (It's been a challenging Winter, and I think sending out cards celebrating Spring, seemed like the right thing to do.)  Again, another relaxed and creative afternoon.  My friend was the massive card maker this time, she got inspired and her energy took off like a rocket.  Amazing! We inspired each other, while creating, laughing and having a glass of champagne.   Needless to say, I love these afternoons. On the drive home I was thinking about all the years we've been friends all the stuff we've gone through together and a couple of very nice vacation trips.  I love my friend.  She knows me well and supports me in times of doubt and times of celebration.  I can speak my truth with acceptance.  It's helped me discover who I am over the years, and as I have evolved, my friend has been there.  I like to think I've been there for her as well. It's what friends to.  I'm blessed to say I have many friends like this in my life.
I feel there is something in our culture that says needing support is a sign of weakness.  I feel it's the opposite.  Not being able to have a strong support system or feeling like you can't ask for support when you need it is a sign of weakness or at very least something is off in your life.  Having a strong support system in our lives is our connection to community.  A strong support system helps us do what we want to do in our lives.  Again, they are there for us to reach out in times of doubt and uncertainly and in times of celebration. Without this connection to community I think we can start to not only feel isolated but resentful of this isolation.  That can start to harbor a whole slew of negative thoughts and actions.  We need friends.  I believe this.
I'm touching on this subject, because I do feel so blessed. I also met a person this week, who really has no support system and feels that friends and relationships get in the way of their work.  I sort of understand this mind set, as I've been there.  And yet I walked away from this person, attempting to shake their negative energy and having compassion for them. I wonder what would bring someone to this place in their lives?  (I also don't entirely buy their line of not needing or wanting support or friends, but that's me.)  I wish them well.  I know having friends take time. Developing relationships with people take time and energy.  It's a huge risk.  For me it is worth the risk.  The time and energy is part of the pay off.  I just can not image my life now with out them.  I can not imagine my life without people I feel safe enough to be me and ask for the support I need to muster courage to do what I do and to create my life.
Each one of my many friends, are a treasure to me.  They add so much to my life with the mere thought of them. They inspire me. They help me create a rich full life. They make me smile and laugh. They support me. I'm a better person for having them all in my life!  True blessings. Bubbles in my life's champagne glass. (Okay, okay...I'll stop before I get sloppier.)  Thank you all, you know who you are.
So, how's your support system?  Do the people in your life bring you up?
Until next week...create to feel great
24 projects complete! 28 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment