Saturday, August 18, 2012

Ah! Resistance-I'm Callin' You Out!

As I'm writing this, I am five days away from doing the Mother of All Relay Races- The Portland to Coast Walk.  Yes.  That is right...I'm walking to the coast with 12 others.  I've been working towards this event for a year.  I've walked.  I've injured myself.  I've healed and I've walked some more.  I've been crafting cool stuff to take with me to make life easier for myself and my team mates.  The start day is in my sites.  I was excited until I heard that the speed in which everyone else is walking this event it is going to take 40 hours!  Really!  My first thought was, "well screw this noise.  If no one is going to push past their fears of being uncomfortable I'll stay home."  I'm now at- it is what is.  Maybe this is my team mates pushing and doing what they can.  If it takes 40 hours. It takes 40 hours.  After all, some team has to be last. Right?
What I felt I was hearing was my resistance to pushing myself coming up.  It is always easier to look at someone else and what the are doing or not doing than look at our self.   Yet the blame game never gets the job done.  This applies to long distance relay walks and everything else in life.
Once again, the trick is to stop and realize what is going on.  If something feels off. If something feels negative. If something feels like pushing a rock up a hill.  Call it out!
How did I get out of this place I found myself in?  I focused on the fun!  I focused on making it fun!  I've still got some days to train.  All my training is fun stuff I want to do or fun places to walk to.  I have an MP3 player loaded with only high energy fun favorites.  I have a treadmill where I work that my boss set up to help me train on the downhills. I get creative and make stuff.  Most of all I keep in mind that bottomline- it is me out there on the road walking. This fantastic experience will be what I bring to it.  With my walking times, my attitude and my energy.   Resistance can now hit the road, but it sure as hell doesn't get to walk along the same road I'll be walking.

How do you send resistance packing?

Until next week...create to feel great!

42 projects complete! 10 to go!

One more P2C project...an arm strap for my MP3 player.  I discovered that my best walking pants, don't have pockets.  And I love walking and singing to music!

No comments:

Post a Comment