Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Outter Limits

After 4 years of writing this blog, I know I starting repeat myself on several topics.  I like to think of it as uncovering more layers.
I've been reflecting, again on limited thinking and behaviors I have. We all have them.  I get impatient with mine and I'm working to open this up and get past them.
Why?  Well, simply stated limited thoughts...well, limit us.  
Imagine  any animal who for all of it's life only saw the vastness of the wide open spaces.  The earth and the sky and everything it has to offer them.   Then imagine that animal being scooped up and put in a small cage.  Angry, you bet they are angry.  I would be too. 
Now imagine that you are that animal and the cage is the limiting thoughts and behaviors.  Angry, I would say you might be.  At very least depressed and defeated.

I'm not talking about not having a focus or a vision for life.  That will open you up, because if you are focused you'll more than likely do whatever it takes to create your vision.
I'm talking about not seeing the vastness and the openness of life and allowing it to flow to you.

Here's my example.  I have costumed many shows in my life.  After 30 plus years and I don't know how many shows, many over 100, I've attempting to distance myself for costuming.  I'm picky.  A good friend and wonderful person in my life is directing his first professional production of Romeo and Juliet.  I'm doing the costumes.  This friend and I talked vision. Very simple...Period costumes, as much as I can do on the budget.  With that freedom, I was off and running.  Allowing my creativity to flow and all good things, the show is going to be a parade of outstanding lush rich costumes, that are well under budget.  I've costumed 3 other productions of R&J and can't remember when I have felt the freedom and the vastness of what this world has to offer in creativity, fun and joy.  All of this has spilled over into other areas of my life.

Lesson here.  Stay open.  Have an idea of how you want things to play out, and then forget it and go with the flow.  For me this is a summer "road trip" like no other.

Until next week....create to feel great!
24 projects complete! 28 to go!

This week's project is a little taste of what I'm working on.   It is Juliet's gown.  I decided to make her an under gown with hand embroidery in the bodice.  I think I'm off to a good start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment