Saturday, September 1, 2012

Hitting A Wall And Seeing A Million Stars

"To accomplish a great thing, we must not only act, but also dream:not only plan, but also believe."
~Anatole France 

I can now say I walked to the Oregon Coast.  I competed in The Mother Of All Relays.  I knew it was going to challenge me.  I had NO idea in what ways. More on that in a bit.  I want to talk about my stats. I'm so proud of the fact that I took 4 minutes off my walking time.  Averaging a 16.5 minute mile. Our team finished in 35 hours. I didn't know I had a competitive streak that ran so deep in me. It came out. Because I had injured my lower back in July, I didn't compete against others, I competed against myself.  I really had to find that source in me that believed I could do this thing.  And I did this thing.

I have a million stories etched in my mind and heart.  I have thousands of lessons, I want to share the most important ones I took away, as they apply to life, at least my life.  So, not in any order...

1) There are Guardian Angels.  I met one from Australia who helped me pace myself, work out a shin splint and told me I could do this thing. All within the first two miles of my walking adventure.

2) Have a plan for the end.  I had no idea the physical and emotional tole this event and prep of the event takes.  Couple that with sitting in the hot sun for two hours and team mates wanting me to take care of their questions and concerns.  I hit a wall.  Not pretty, but we all survived.  Having a plan for the end before leaving town would have helped.

3) When going after a great thing...have a good friend with you.  One is the minimum.  I was lucky to have one of my best friends with me.  Made the world of difference.

4) I need more cowbell in my life.  Every time a van with a cheering cowbell ringing team passed me, I knew I had to keep going.  So, more cowbell.

5) Look up from time to time.  Especially at night.  I saw the most amazing star show while I was trying to get some sleep in the non-sleeping field.

6) Add some flare to what you are doing, and don't hold back.  I had made gold lame visors, yet I saw folks being so creative and really going all out.  Making the event even more fun.  I love adding flare, and I sometimes hold back.  I always regret this move (the holding back, never the flare.)

7) Don't down play the accomplishment.  If it is a big deal for you.  It is a big deal.   If it is a big deal for someone else...help them celebrate, and that celebration looks different to everyone.  It's still a celebration.

8) Everything is important, yet very very little of it is serious.

9) I'm a whole lot stronger, smarter and funnier than I allow myself to be everyday. 

What's next?  I'm training for next year. I'd love to get on a team with a group of friends and folks really wanting to have fun and really into pushing themselves.  I'm not giving up event walking. I enjoy it way too much. After walking over 11 miles, in some of the best areas my state has to offer, walking looks a little different to me.  Time for a walk.

Until next week...create to feel great!
43 projects complete!  9 to go!

One last P2C craft.  A gold canvas duffle bag.  The right size for over packing all I thought I needed on the road. It served me well.






No comments:

Post a Comment